“Are SharePoint Lists better then Excel Files?” or “Why shloud I use a SharePoint list intead Excel Files?”
These are 2 of the most asked question of my customers/students.
First of all, in my opinion there isn’t “best technology” or best “solutions” for all problems. There is more appropriate solution for your problem (or budget 🙂 ), so the “key” is: know different options to choose the most appropriate.
With these premises, let’s me explain some reasons why, personally, generally I prefer SPO List, intead Excel files.
- List item versioning. SharePoint can store N versions on your list item, so you can see differents beetwneen versiones and restore previus version of item. Isn’t this cool?
- Set item level permissions. You can decide , for each list item, who can see or edit it.
- Different views. You can create different views of list. Users can create personal view with filters ,group or sort by columns.
- Save author, last modified user, created date , last edit date. Automatically, for each rows.
- Better integration with Power Automate & Power Apps, so your simple list becomes part of business process.
Have a good day!